2006年5月4日星期四

Time to say goodbye

It is the season to say goodbye to old pals again! The May flowers always make me alergy and remind me life is short. Tianhu has finalized his schedule and will leave on May 24th. I don't think I will have much time to share with him before he goes. I have to fly to Chicago for conference and not come back till the 20th. Before that, I should finish the paper and presentation. Spring is the conference season, too. I knew Tianhu for 3 years, when Lixu first introduced us to each other in 2003. He is a pretty ordinary person, although very good at study and research in his own field. Fairly speaking, he do not know much of the world beyond his narrowly defined specialized area, which will make him a great scholar, but not an interesting friend. But he has some qualities which you can count on in tough times, such as loyalty and frankness. I think I will miss him in some long Saturday afternoon, remembering our debate at Rarebook Exhibit at Park Ave Armory or relaxed time together at Bronx Bontonic Garden. Again, life is short and I am happy to have a friend like him to be around. Wish him good luck in his new venture as assistant professor at PKU, our alma mater.

没有评论: