2006年5月13日星期六

Absolute Winner

By the final results of the 7th Asian Physics Olympiad Zhu Li (China) became an Absolute Winner of 2005. Who is a "absolute winner" of the world? The answer is, it dependes. I met a boy yesterday at Tianhu's farewell party. He went to same high school and college and Columbia Univ as I was, and we never met each other. As I was told, he won the gold medal of World Physics Olympics as a high school graduate (when he trained in Affliated High School of Peking Univeristy and when I and my buddies played volleyball day and night in the same time), and winded up to Beida and then transferred to California Institute of Technology. Among the 25 goldmedalist, he had the highest test score, so he was the "absolute winner" of that game. When we talked, I found he was a nice ordinary guy, who had hanged out in CU Physics Department for 6 years and no plan to graduate in any time soon. After our conversation, I can not help to reflect what is meant of "absolute winner" and of being a person after being a "absolute winner" once in a life time? When a person achieved such a peak of his life, is it meant anything after that is just going down the hill? A absolute winner is a lonely kid in high school, never enjoy our ordinary lives, do not have much friend in college either, and move to America as a teenager, and find out his ordinary collegemates have finished their doctoriates before him. What a life! Since the start of my college year, I had decided I would never attempt to be a "absolute winner". Because I don't have the ability and I can not afford the life after that. Somehow, I realize everyone still can become a "absolute winner" in certain ways and in certain time. For instance, you can be the first girl to get married in your cohort, or get kid first, or get divored, or get bankrupt, or die first. There is no rules of game, you can play anyway you want. So what is the meaning of "absolute winner"? It can become part of your identity, make you different from other 6 billion people on the earth, and it gets you to a new start point to achieve your dream. I guess, we still need it as long as we need dreams to carry on.

没有评论: