2006年4月27日星期四

Mom got visa!

It seems like a mission impossible, but we did it!!! Mom spent 4 hours in the U.S. Embassy in Beijing: re-making 156 forms in the last minutes, making couple of friends while they waited, and finally got the visa. I worried a lot and what I realized is that I should have more confidence on her and on myself. I feel great and it is the first time I can do something for my mom! As usual, my brother screwed things up by overslept and massed up the date, so he did not accompany mom to the Embassy. It is better that way, though. As my mom put it, if the end is good the whole thing is good. So don't blame anybody. Maybe I should learn her way of viewing the world, and maybe I could be much happier. I remeber a funny conversation earlier this week about What is happiness. A professional comes to give a topic on that topic, whose major job is touring the world to organize group discussion about life philosophy, including happiness. So on the Monday noon, I was sitting in a library room to share my view of happiness. Most people mentioned knowing oneself or working with purpose as state of happiness, but mine is much simplier: no pain and no worry and be free. Americans use the word "achieving happiness" which I do not totally agree with. Yes, you can work hard for happiness; but happiness is also given by some powerful force out of our reach. Happiness is more like a short break of a long painful journey we all share; it is not a state of being, but rather a floating moment which is hard to grasp. I can not help thinking about the final moment of Faust's life. He knew he would die if he said "Life is so beautiful and please stay with me", but eventually he could not escape his fate and died before his own achievement. It is irony that he can not feel happy unless he die for it right away. Was he happy when he spent the moment in love with Margret ? Was he happy when he had incredible power and shared with Helen? Was being happy his fate or his curse? I don't know. Life in the past 29 years does not offer me answers, it posts more questions. That is why I am pretty content with my life so far. Remember that lyric Swedish movie, My Life as a Dog? Rember the narrative of the boy in its begining ? He recalled what the lonely Russian dog felt when it was sent to outer space for scientific experiment. The boy had great compassion with the dog and his life was not much better than the dog, his mom was dying and he was sent to villiage alone. But he found happiness in the simple country life, full of discovery, surprise and love. Maybe that is the way I should do: don't seek for happiness, but wait the happiness to come to you.

没有评论: