2006年9月28日星期四

Mission Impossible

We are dealing with impossible mission everyday. Today, the challenge is a in-class presentation about a chapter of my thesis. My friend told me I was nervous like a shaking leaf in a winter chilly wind for the first 5 minutes. My gosh, I was lucky to get over it in 5 minutes! Anyway, I get some interesting feedbacks. Sometimes I wonder why I am not born to be a genius. How life will be different if I were a genius? Then, I change my mind after I read the brief description of a talented mind, a cambridge mathematician died at age of 32. This week CU dedictes a panel discussion to him for his achievement in math which for the most part we still not understand today. "Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan was born December 22, 1887, in Erode, Tamil Nadu, India. He showed a consuming passion and genius for mathematics at an early age. An orthodox Brahmin and devout in his religious beliefs, Ramanujan attributed every mathematical equation to his family deity, the goddess Namagiri. In 1912, he sent his now famous letters containing his equations to Professor GH Hardy, who persuaded him to come to Cambridge. An obscure clerk at the Port Trust of Madras, Ramanujan was to become a Fellow of the Royal Society and of Trinity College, Cambridge, while proving, in association with his mentor, G.H . Hardy, results that continue to astound the world of mathematics to this day. Between 1914 and 1918, Ramanujan produced 3000 theorems, many that are still being deciphered today. However, Ramanujan fell prey to the harsh winters of England and was diagnosed with tuberculosis which was exacerbated by the rigors and stress of academic life, his feeling of isolation in an alien culture and the scarcity of vegetarian food. He returned to India in 1919, and died shortly after, on April 26 th, 1920 at the age of 32. "

没有评论: